Anyone who has followed my golf sites knows I suffer from some pretty bad back pain. And as of late I’ve had some tendinitis in the left elbow (golfer’s elbow) and knee pain in the left knee has been creeping in. Hmm. My left side is falling apart and my right side is fine. Not sure what that is all about…
My pals at Pomology suggested I try their JOINT Formula for some of these aches and pains. I just popped two of them now and I’m heading to my Tuesday league in a couple of hours. I know I’ll be feeling fairly well, as I’ve been testing out this stuff now for about 10 rounds. No pain. No aches. No tendinitis.
Pomology uses pomegranate based antioxidants to promote healthy joints and cartilage. As far as I can tell the stuff actually works, and I’m a big skeptic. Apparently pomegranates have natural a natural anti-inflammatory in them.
Another ingredient is HA or hyaluronic acid. This stuff is a naturally occurring protein which “hydrates collagen in cells,” contributing to strengthening joint tissue.
M.S.M. is a sulfur which also helps which mineral found in major tissues of the body such as cartilage.
Boswellia Serata Extract (really?) is from a Boswellia tree and has been used for thousands of years as a way of reliving stiff joints.
All gibberish aside, I’m feeling darn good. My inflammation and stiff joints are feeling pretty decent lately. Is it a coincidence that this coincides with the time I started taking the Pomology JOINT Formula?
“Golf is 90% mental, and the other 10% is in your head.”
I’m capable of hitting great golf shots. I’ve hit thousands of them. I’m also capable of completely gagging and hitting horrid golf shots, like today when I limped to the finish line on the last two holes with bogey and double bogey to make a good round turn into a mediocre one. So why can’t I hit good shots more consistently? Why is it that I can play great golf for 15-16 holes but gag the last couple? How can I be -7 after 12 holes and shoot 74? How can I shoot a 31 on the front and a 41 on the back? How can I shoot 68 on a course one day and then shoot an 85 on the same damn course the next? Sometimes it seems like I can’t stand success during a round. It is all mental baby.
I do have the physical ability and the coordination to hit a great golf shot. Many people do. But why don’t they do it more often or more consistently? Their brains get in the way. During rounds I know my focus drifts and bad swing faults and bad habits take over.
Golf State Of Mind
David MacKenzie’s Golf State Of Mind is a program which coaches and teaches the mental side of golf. It is about cultivating the right mental approach to the game and building trust in the player’s ability. The program is intended to help players play without fear, and reach their full potential.
Yesterday’s round at Hidden Valley with my dad was glorious. 8:15am, long shadows, cool air, beautiful course. The greens were as smooth and fast as they’ve been all year. In fact, the speed was so much faster than I’m used to I gagged away three shots in the first few holes while trying to adjust. One was a 3-footer which I sent six feet by and two others were 3-putts for bogey when birdie was looking possible.
Once I adjusted to the speed I started making putts and on the 10th, saw a 20 foot birdie putt roll in with the purest and straightest roll I’ve ever seen come off my putter. There is nothing better than putting on smooth and fast greens.
I shot +3 on the front. I had it down to +1 after going -2 on the back for a while but gave up one coming home. A fantastic and near impossible up-and-down on the 18th gave me a final score of 74.
The new swing didn’t work perfectly. I had some timing issues and a few pulls and pushes. But the shots were still controlled and not wild at all. The worst scores I carded were a four bogeys. The new swing took double out of the equation.
I’m working on a small tweak to my swing which will hopefully increase accuracy and eliminate my ever famous “granny” move. While playing my 18 hole league Tuesday, my pal and golf pro Guy and I discussed shortening my swing. I tried a few swings and he told me that those were the best swings and most on plane he’s seen me make.
I played an extra nine holes after the original 18, and carded a little 32 on that side. I even missed a birdie putt of about 3-4 feet.
I’m playing around with my dad today at the nicest club in town. I plan on hitting the range for a few before the round to groove the 3/4 backswing anti-granny move version of my swing a bit.
A report will follow.