Golf gear head alert! TaylorMade has been hyping a new product which will “change the iron forever.” Preliminary statements say that there will be more distance than ever. Today’s big announcement isn’t just the iPad Mini, but the new RocketBladez irons. These irons have a “speed pocket” in the 3-7 irons, a small slit in the bottom of the club head. Pricing is from $799-899 for 4-iron through PW and AW.
Here’s the info from TaylorMade on the irons:
Only RocketBladez are powered by the Speed Pocket, the little thing that promotes radical increased speed and distance. These irons are the true blend of the feel the pros demand and the explosive distance amateurs crave. The Speed Pocket. If you don’t have it, then you don’t have it.
The Speed Pocket has changed the iron forever.
- Speed Pocket in the 3- through 7-irons works with an advanced, ultra-thin face design to
- promote consistently high ball speed and distance.
- Consistent distance with every iron made possible by careful management of the Speed Pocket, improved Inverted Cone shape and high MOI.
- 17.5 grams of weight is strategically redistributed to lower and center the CG location, promoting a higher launch angle, higher peak trajectory and a steep, soft-landing, quick-stopping descent angle.
- Fantastic feel promoted by a specially formulated polyurethane developed by 3M that fills the RBZ Speed Pocket and quiets vibration.
- SW and LW have re-designed cavities to promote feel, feature our renowned ATV sole for maximum greenside versatility, and come equipped with heavier steel shafts to promote better rhythm and control
- Shaft: RocketFuel™ 85 Steel – S,R
- Shaft: RocketFuel™ 65 Mens Graphite – S, R, M
- Grip:Mens RBladez Grip 47.5g
- Shaft size .370 tip
More importantly lets take a look at the specs (loft, lie, shaft length) of these clubs. That’s where the majority of the distance is coming from. These are long shafts and very strong irons as far as the loft goes.
As a reference to where modern irons compare to irons of the past, here’s a typical loft, lie, length of irons from the 1990’s courtesy of wiki answers. As you can see, most modern irons are longer and stronger.
TaylorMade RocketBladez photos
just wondering if the loft is stronger won’t the ball flight be lower ?
I’d assume that Burt. Not saying that is the case here but in general yes.
I am way ahead of the curve on this one! I just ordered a set of Wilson Reflex irons(3-PW) for $6.99 from ebay. For my 7 bucks I get 2012 technology for 1930 pricing! It doesn’t get any better than that.
For those of you that play golf in the late 70’s , here i an ad for the relex irons. (LINK REMOVED – PLEASE DO NOT POST LINKS TO EBAY AUCTIONS HERE)
These irons look pretty good to me- Barry Studer
Todd Williams liked this on Facebook.