During the HP Byron Nelson Classic last year I took the opportunity to follow Jordan Spieth. At that time, Spieth was an amateur from Texas who was sure to be on the PGA Tour in four years. Well, make that two years. He’s turning pro.
Spieth’s amateur career was very impressive. Here are a few of his accomplishments:
- First team All-American at the University of Texas at Austin
- Big 12 Player of the Year 2012
- Led Texas Longhorns to a NCAA National Championship in 2012
- Finalist for Ben Hogan Award, for the nations best college golfer
- Two U.S. Junior Amateur titles (2009, 2011). Tiger Woods the only other to win twice
- Made the cut in 6 of 8 professional events including T21 at the 2012 U.S. Open
The future is bright for this one. It will be fun to watch. The question will no doubt be whether or not turning pro at this point is a wise idea. Time will tell.