It has all come down to the 18th hole and you have a three foot putt to beat your buddy out of $2.00 ($1.00 for the original bet and $1.00 for the press of course). Do you shine? Do you make the glorious putt and collect the cash and associated bragging rights?
Then how about the pressure you might feel if you were KJ Choi today. He sank a putt on the last hole of the Skins Game which was worth $270,000. Total take in this “so-so” silly season event for Choi, $415,000.
It is that time of year again. One of the most anticipated web events on this, or many other planets is upon us. The golden turkey trophy has been engraved. IT IS TIME.
4TH ANNUAL HOG TURKEY AWARDS
10. Michelle Wie fails to sign her scorecard at the State Farm Classic. She may have made enough dough to earn her LPGA Tour card had she not been DQ’d. DOH!
9. Michelle Wie attempts to play against the men, after saying she wouldn’t do it. Then she finishes in 118th place. Well done!
8. Ian Poulter WD’s from the Singapore Open because his driver was stolen.
7. The USGA fails in an attempt to jump on the blogwagon. Last update there January 2, 2008.
6. The LPGA loses sponsors and tournaments. They also try to institute and English only policy. DOH!
5. The FedEx Cup is once again not all that exciting. Vijay wins it with little fanfare. There’s a terrible loophole in which this year’s winner of the British & the PGA (Padraig Harrington) doesn’t get to play in the TOUR Championship. WTF? That ain’t right.
4. “Cut” and “money” confusion on the PGA Tour. Players could confusingly make money but not make the cut, though they get credit for making a cut, but they couldn’t play the weekend despite being credited for making the cut, which they make money in without making the cut which they got credit for like um yeah… Huh?
3. Kelly Tilghman gets a turkey leg for the now world famous “Tiger lynching” comments. She had to take two weeks off and apologize to the man. The politically correct crowd blows a gasket.
2. The entire field of the US OPEN has to share a turkey leg. None of them, as healthy as they were, could beat a man (Tiger Woods) who had a blown ACL and two fractures in his leg. WEAK!
And the winner is….
1. BIG JOHN DALY. JD wins the Turkey of the Year in a landslide for a blockbuster 2008. JD’s list of turkey like antics include:
~Saying he’s getting serious with his game.
~Blowing his new relationship with coach Butch Harmon.
~Having Tampa Bay Buccaneers coach Jon Gruden caddy for him after a 2.5 hour rain delay beer fest in the Hooters tent.
~Showing his incredible physique by doing a shirtless and shoeless interview on the course.
And last but not least…
~The now famous “jailed for passing out drunk at a Hooters” incident.
My apologies for those who may be looking at these images after Thanksgiving dinner…
I’m still recovering from Saturday night’s Utah/byu game. I don’t type “byu” in caps yes. I really hate ’em. I won’t give those &*$#*&s the courtesy of caps.
The Utah/byu rivalry is extremely heated and bitter. This week’s 48-24 (yes, 48-24) win was as sweet as ever for many reasons. First, beating byu ranks up there with any of the top joys in life for a Ute fan. Second, the Utes won the Mountain West Conference championship outright. Third, they went 12-0 for the 2nd time in team history, and the 2nd time in four years. Last but not least, they moved up to #6 in the polls and will be busting the BCS for a 2nd time (1st time 2004 Fiesta Bowl). It looks like the Utes will be in the Sugar Bowl this year.
I’m proud to be a Ute.
Now why am I recovering? Well first my voice is gone. I sound like I have laryngitis. Screaming obscenities at your team’s opponent for four hours is hard on your voice.
I also did some damage to my ribs and sternum at the game. After the win the audience rushed the field (see image). While climbing over the railing my Ute FootJoy MyJoys (yes I wore them to the game) slipped on the cement wall. I held on, rather then dropping 12 feet. My body weight (which there is plenty of) hit the cement wall directly on my sternum. My chest is killing me but I’m still happy!
The 4th annual HOG Turkey Awards is coming this week. I’ve got a list of candidates going which you can read here, but I’d like to hear your suggestions in case I missed any.
Comment in or email me your suggestions for boneheads in the golf world for 2008!
Previous HOG Turkey Award Winners
~ 2007 winner was Sergio Garcia for spitting in the hole and also for gagging away the British Open.
~ 2006 winner was Phil Mickelson for gagging away the US OPEN.
~ 2005 winners, Vijay for withdrawing due to a ping pong injury, and David Duval for earning $381 per event.
This news came down the pipe while I was in server hell. But in case you missed it, Seve Ballesteros is out of the ICU, though still in the hospital. This is ver good news and I continue to wish Seve my best.