There are three inches of snow on the ground outside my house right now, and more snow is falling. Not golf weather. No worries though, because I have a HEATED jacket that can toast my upper body at up to 135 degrees, made by a cool company called Mobile Warming. Lets take a look at this great idea.
Mobile Warming Overview
Mobile Warming is a company based out of Oak Creek, Wisconsin. Wisconsinites know what cold is all about. MW makes heated apparel for men and women including jackets, shirts, vets and gloves. Their line is geared toward hunters, skiers, hikers, fishermen, motorcyclists and now golfers as well. (more…)
Perhaps the folks at OGIO have ESP. They must have known that my old bag was falling apart. You see, I play a lot of golf. I wear gear out. My previous bag, made by another manufacturer, was held together by cable ties and duct tape. Just in time the new OGIO Wisp arrived as a product review submission!
My OGIO Wisp soaking up some rays on the driving range… click to zoom.
Naturally I put the bag into play immediately to do my “extensive” testing. How does this OGIO Wisp bag fare? Lets take a look. (more…)
KP Golf Tape in action – click to magnify
I play with two groups of golfers who have a “greenie” game. Greenies are awarded to the player who is closest to the pin, usually on par-3’s or in the case of one of my groups on every hole. Greenies are worth a buck in this group, but with carryovers they can add up. So there have been some intense times when there’s a four hole greenie carryover and there’s a dispute as to who is really closer. We’re talking big money here, $16 to the winner.
Now that I have a KP Golf Tape in the bag, those disputes are resolved perfectly and without any doubt. KP Golf Tape is a 100 foot long measuring tape designed and built for golf. Let’s take a look.
KP Golf Tape Features
- Tape clip clamps around the flagstick and rotates 360 degrees. One person can operate it.
- Clip stays above the cup, eliminating any possible damage to the green.
- Tape is 100 feet long. I walked it off to find out, then realized it said 100FT on the darn casing! Duh.
- Retractable handle extends to roll tape back up easily.
- Made in the USA, so it will not fall apart like cheap golf junk from China.
- All metal parts are stainless steel.
KP Golf Tape – click to zoom
Like I mentioned, KP Golf Tape is great for measuring greenies.
The tape would make great use for golf course officials who need to determine who is away in match play. While the USGA was here in town for the Amateur Public Links, I watched many USGA officials fuddling with regular tape measures and asking for someone to help out and hold the tape measure to the cup or stick. That mess would be rectified easily with a KP Golf Tape unit.
Another usage is for practice drills. One could use the tape to put tees or markers in a green at a certain distance from a pin.
With the clamp’s ability to rotate around the hole, a circle could be easily painted for competitions with the help of the KP Golf Tape.
Clamps on flagstick – click to zoom
KP Golf Tape is a super solid unit. Very well built. At $49.95 it is an investment, but it will probably last longer than the investor. If you or your organization finds the need for measurements around the green, KP Golf Tape is the ticket.
Hooked On Golf Blog KP Golf Tape photos
KP Golf Tape website
My battery is charged. Bring on the cold! – click to zoom
Temperatures are dropping here in Salt Lake. It is cold and wet here now and it is only going to get colder.
I can’t believe I haven’t seen a product like this yet, but I now have a new HEATED golf rain jacket to test out. “Mobile Warming” (great name) makes various heated garments, including a line of heated rain jackets and vests for golf.
When it gets cold my sketchy back tightens up. Can’t wait to test this thing out and see if it will help me stay loose and of course, warm. I’ll be testing out the jacket for a bit, especially this Saturday evening at the Utah/CAL football game which starts at 7:45 p.m. Stay tuned for my full review. In the mean time you can click either photo to see more or head to the Mobile Warming web site.
Mobile Warming Heated Golf Rain Jacket – click for more
TayorMade RocketBladez Irons – click for more RocketBladez photos
Golf gear head alert! TaylorMade has been hyping a new product which will “change the iron forever.” Preliminary statements say that there will be more distance than ever. Today’s big announcement isn’t just the iPad Mini, but the new RocketBladez irons. These irons have a “speed pocket” in the 3-7 irons, a small slit in the bottom of the club head. Pricing is from $799-899 for 4-iron through PW and AW.
Here’s the info from TaylorMade on the irons:
Only RocketBladez are powered by the Speed Pocket, the little thing that promotes radical increased speed and distance. These irons are the true blend of the feel the pros demand and the explosive distance amateurs crave. The Speed Pocket. If you don’t have it, then you don’t have it.
The Speed Pocket has changed the iron forever.
- Speed Pocket in the 3- through 7-irons works with an advanced, ultra-thin face design to
- promote consistently high ball speed and distance.
- Consistent distance with every iron made possible by careful management of the Speed Pocket, improved Inverted Cone shape and high MOI.
- 17.5 grams of weight is strategically redistributed to lower and center the CG location, promoting a higher launch angle, higher peak trajectory and a steep, soft-landing, quick-stopping descent angle.
- Fantastic feel promoted by a specially formulated polyurethane developed by 3M that fills the RBZ Speed Pocket and quiets vibration.
- SW and LW have re-designed cavities to promote feel, feature our renowned ATV sole for maximum greenside versatility, and come equipped with heavier steel shafts to promote better rhythm and control
- Shaft: RocketFuel™ 85 Steel – S,R
- Shaft: RocketFuel™ 65 Mens Graphite – S, R, M
- Grip:Mens RBladez Grip 47.5g
- Shaft size .370 tip
More importantly lets take a look at the specs (loft, lie, shaft length) of these clubs. That’s where the majority of the distance is coming from. These are long shafts and very strong irons as far as the loft goes.
As a reference to where modern irons compare to irons of the past, here’s a typical loft, lie, length of irons from the 1990’s courtesy of wiki answers. As you can see, most modern irons are longer and stronger.
TaylorMade RocketBladez photos