2009 fantasy golf starts this week!
Join now, space is limited!
League #1 is now FULL!
League #2 is NOW OPEN!
This league is 100% FREE. No cost, ever.
Now accepting submissions for prizes.
We need everything from weekly prizes to the grand prize.
The league is FREE and hosted by Yahoo Sports.
You’ll need a yahoo ID, but don’t worry it’s free too.
HOG SPACE LEAGUE #1: FULL! Join group #2!
HOG SPACE LEAGUE #2: Group ID# 5820 – Password: masters
Official HOG Space Fantasy Golf Discussion and SMACK TALK Thread
Man I’ve been so busy lately I forgot to mention something which happened eight days ago. December 5th was Hooked On Golf Blog‘s fourth blogday (birthday for bloggers). My first post on December 5th, 2004 wasn’t terribly bad.
Much has happened for me since starting this blog. I’ve met hundreds of cool people in the golf industry, played some incredible golf courses, and I’ve had the pleasure of testing out all the latest and greatest in golf products.
HOG Time Capsule
• There are currently 2,050 posts and 2,100 comments, contained within 25 categories.
• There are currently 9492 photos within 12 master categories in the Hooked On Golf Blog Photo Gallery.
• The current visitor counter is at 17,061,428. I had no counter for the first year or so. The counter has been off and on throughout server moves and the current counter is probably several million hits short of the total from day one.
• There are 1657 subscribers to this blog. A subscriber is someone who has actually spent the time to set up a user account here.
I’m thankful and happy to have a great outlet like this and I fully intend to keep this baby going for a long time. It is just too much fun to stop.
It is that time of year again. One of the most anticipated web events on this, or many other planets is upon us. The golden turkey trophy has been engraved. IT IS TIME.
4TH ANNUAL HOG TURKEY AWARDS
10. Michelle Wie fails to sign her scorecard at the State Farm Classic. She may have made enough dough to earn her LPGA Tour card had she not been DQ’d. DOH!
9. Michelle Wie attempts to play against the men, after saying she wouldn’t do it. Then she finishes in 118th place. Well done!
8. Ian Poulter WD’s from the Singapore Open because his driver was stolen.
7. The USGA fails in an attempt to jump on the blogwagon. Last update there January 2, 2008.
6. The LPGA loses sponsors and tournaments. They also try to institute and English only policy. DOH!
5. The FedEx Cup is once again not all that exciting. Vijay wins it with little fanfare. There’s a terrible loophole in which this year’s winner of the British & the PGA (Padraig Harrington) doesn’t get to play in the TOUR Championship. WTF? That ain’t right.
4. “Cut” and “money” confusion on the PGA Tour. Players could confusingly make money but not make the cut, though they get credit for making a cut, but they couldn’t play the weekend despite being credited for making the cut, which they make money in without making the cut which they got credit for like um yeah… Huh?
3. Kelly Tilghman gets a turkey leg for the now world famous “Tiger lynching” comments. She had to take two weeks off and apologize to the man. The politically correct crowd blows a gasket.
2. The entire field of the US OPEN has to share a turkey leg. None of them, as healthy as they were, could beat a man (Tiger Woods) who had a blown ACL and two fractures in his leg. WEAK!
And the winner is….
1. BIG JOHN DALY. JD wins the Turkey of the Year in a landslide for a blockbuster 2008. JD’s list of turkey like antics include:
~Saying he’s getting serious with his game.
~Blowing his new relationship with coach Butch Harmon.
~Having Tampa Bay Buccaneers coach Jon Gruden caddy for him after a 2.5 hour rain delay beer fest in the Hooters tent.
~Showing his incredible physique by doing a shirtless and shoeless interview on the course.
And last but not least…
~The now famous “jailed for passing out drunk at a Hooters” incident.
My apologies for those who may be looking at these images after Thanksgiving dinner…
The 4th annual HOG Turkey Awards is coming this week. I’ve got a list of candidates going which you can read here, but I’d like to hear your suggestions in case I missed any.
Comment in or email me your suggestions for boneheads in the golf world for 2008!
Previous HOG Turkey Award Winners
~ 2007 winner was Sergio Garcia for spitting in the hole and also for gagging away the British Open.
~ 2006 winner was Phil Mickelson for gagging away the US OPEN.
~ 2005 winners, Vijay for withdrawing due to a ping pong injury, and David Duval for earning $381 per event.
HOG back at 100%
I’ve now got the header banner running, which was (I hope) the last thing to get working since the big move to a dedicated server. Please let me know via comments or email if you find something messed up so I can fix it.
For those who don’t know what a dedicated server is, basically it is an entire computer (server) in a data center. The “box” only has one client on it, me. It is “dedicated” to my site. Previously HOG has been on “shared” hosting servers. Shared hosting is cheap, but can be very problematic as I’ve found out. Shared is good for starters, but when a site moves as much traffic as this one does shared hosting won’t work. Shared hosting is often hacked and slow, because there can be many hundreds or even thousands of web sites on one server.
What to expect
Now that HOG is on a dedicated server, we should expect a serious speed increase. Those times when it took several seconds to load the page, or when the site would hang, should be gone for the most part. The gallery should run and load faster.
Room to grow
There’s plenty of room to grow too. The storage capacity available now is 100x what I had before. Plenty of room and plenty of horsepower. HOG has upgraded from a Yugo to a Porsche SUV.
Back to our regularly scheduled blogram
Now that this is done I need a mental break. I’ve gotten hardly any sleep the last couple of days and my brain, back and body are toast. I’ll get back to my regular blogging when I’ve recharged my batteries and put some fresh ProV1’s in my bag.