One cannot be too prepared. Proper prior preparation prevents piss poor performance. I’m officially prepared for my club’s upcoming 4th of July tournament with my new Royal and Awesome American flag golf shorts. Just look at these beauties.
These shorts feature a great graphic pattern, the flag of the greatest country in the world. Sorry England. Another neat feature is an included divot tool and a place on the side of the pants to put some golf tees (pictured).
My only question so far in these stars and stripes shorts is, “where do the batteries go?”
IJP Design Black Watch Sweater
I’ve been enjoying the first few days wearing this new IJP Design (Ian James Poulter) Black Watch Golf Sweater. It has been very cold here in northern Utah and this sweater has been doing a fantastic job keeping me warm, stylish and comfortable off the course.
As soon as the snow melts I’ll put this brilliant looking sweater into actual play and post a full review. Until then, here are some specs.
• Made from soft luxurious premium quality blend
• Durable textured chunky knit with shawl collar
• Traditional leather buttons
• Embroidered Quintessentially British crest logo
• Fabric 60% Cotton 20% extra fine merino wool 20% nylon
• Machine washable – Do not tumble dry
Wardrobe upgrade alert: I’m happy to report that I’ll be reviewing some apparel items from Ian James Poulter (IJP) Design. First on the list is this pair of golf pants (trousers for those of you in the U.K.). These are the Tour Tech model.
I just tried these fine looking trousers on and was very happy to find that they’re quite adjustable via buttons and velcro on the sides. This means the fit can be adjusted perfectly for the golfer, especially ones with waists which don’t seem to align with the standard sizes found on many brands, like me. The fit is great and the fabric feels nice as well.
Hopefully the snow will melt soon and I can get to testing these beauties. I also have a couple of other IJP Design items to go with these and I’ll be posting those soon. Stay tuned.
Talk about torture. In my hands are the new FootJoy Freestyle Golf Shoes, just waiting to be put into action. The problem is all of the local courses are closed, all covered with snow. Come on global warming.
FootJoy Freestyle Golf Shoes
The new Freestyle’s look to me to be a combination of several of their latest models, from the D.N.A. to the Icon to the Hyperflex.
FootJoy Freestyle Golf Shoes
If the Freestyle is as comfortable as the D.N.A. and as stable as the Hyperflex, they could be the best golf shoes ever.
As soon as the snow melts I’ll be strapping these bad boys on and beginning the rigorous Hooked On Golf Blog test battery. I might have to schedule a golf trip before the snow melts though. Not sure I can wait that long.
Here’s the skinny from a FootJoy press release:
– Innovative new shoe from the market leader offers freedom of movement & outstanding traction –
FootJoy, the #1 Shoe in Golf, introduces a radically new category of golf shoes, called FreeStyle, highlighted by unique technology specifically designed to deliver exceptional traction, mobility and comfort.
FreeStyle shoes help generate maximum power by providing greater freedom of movement throughout the golf swing.
Through internal testing it has been determined that some players can benefit from structured, stable shoes (like ICON Black™ and DryJoys Tour™) to help quiet their lower half and maintain control while maximizing performance, yet this testing also found there are others who want to be able to roll uninhibited throughout their swing. Freedom of movement for these types of players equates to increased power and the construction of the Freestyle shoes deliver the most mobile characteristics of any category in the FJ lineup.
“FreeStyle is arguably FootJoy’s most imaginative and distinctive shoe ever and will particularly help golfers who would benefit from increased freedom of movement when swinging the golf club,” said Doug Robinson, FJ Vice President of Design and Development Worldwide. “By drawing inspiration from a tree frog and emulating their incredible grip and flexibility properties in the texture and functional elements of an outsole, our design and development team has created something truly unique in the golf shoe market.”
While FreeStyle allows for a more natural movement, the shoe doesn’t compromise on grip – a crucial factor in generating more power. The inspiration for this supreme grip comes from a Red-Eyed Tree Frog who generates incredible gripping power on any surface; hence the birth of F.R.O.G.S. outsole technology, where traction elements increase ground contact points throughout the swing in all weather and underfoot conditions.
F.R.O.G.S. Technology incorporates a super-flexible new SoftMaxTM translucent outsole that offers both a softer feel and extra grip, while a new FTFTM 3.0 midsole compound is the brand’s softest and most comfortable yet. The Softspikes Tour LockTM system and new translucent Pulsar cleats deliver exceptional low-profile grip with a dynamic, frog-like flex.
Beneath the upper is an InnerSokTM Fit System – including both TongueLokTM and HeelLokTM mechanisms – to help hold the foot securely in place throughout the golf swing.
FREESTYLE KEY FEATURES AND BENEFITS
- Superior Traction
- The F.R.O.G.S. outsole (FJ’s Revolutionary Outsole Grip System) is constructed utilizing SoftMax™ molded translucent rubber delivering soft cushioning and complete mobility. The Pulsar cleats feature dynamic cushioning and green-friendly traction.
- New translucent and super-flexible SoftMaxTM outsole provides a softer feel and extra grip;
- New FTFTM 3.0 midsole compound, FootJoy’s softest yet, delivers outstanding underfoot cushioning
- Softspikes Tour LockTM system delivers a low-profile and high-retention receptacle and cleat combination.
- New translucent Pulsar cleats offers dynamic, green-friendly traction.
- Upper Features
- Lightweight performance mesh upper delivers incredible comfort, breathability and durability
- The InnerSok™ system offers an achilles pad for additional support and comfort in the heel counter, while the Tongue-Lok™ instep grip ensures additional slip-resistant fit in a key location under the tongue;
- L4 BOA Lacing System with translucent dial provides the ultimate fit;
- 2 year Waterproof Warranty.
- Natural Motion & Cushioning
- New midsole compound and construction methods allows for greater torsional flexibility;
- No internal shank encourages maximum freedom of movement and ground contact.
This is a fun time of year, when golf companies are releasing their new products. For the last several years FootJoy has started their year by sending out “mystery boxes” to the media, and bloggers. Each box has clues leading to the release of their newest, latest product.
Last year that product was the FootJoy Hyperflex golf shoe. I’m still wearing this groundbreaking shoe and it has been fantastic. Very comfortable and super stable.
Two years ago it was the FootJoy D.N.A. golf shoe. It’s still a gamer shoe for me and I’ve logged literally hundreds of miles on it.
This year’s first mystery box features some frog action. So what’s great about frogs? Suction cups. Long tounges. Hopping. Green. Ribbits.
Obviously one of the frog characteristics (or more) will be in the new shoe. I’m going with hopping. You thought I’d go with suction cups.