Wow am I tired. My knees are shot. My feet are shot. The blister on my foot I mentioned last night, burst tonight… ouch.
Today was a very long and productively enjoyable day. I shot over 110 pictures of the show which can be viewed in the Hooked On Golf Blog 2008 PGA Merchandise Show gallery.
Personal highlights today
1. Met the president/ceo of OGIO. He’d apparently been dying to meet me. Apparently he often reads off my quotes about their gear on the company PA system. He invited me to visit their facility, which is 5 minutes from my house. Done deal.
2. Had the first ever Golf Space member meeting. It was very cool to see actual human beings to put with those profile usernames. Later I had dinner with Ed from Basic Golf Co., maker of some nice golf shirts I’ve reviewed.
3. Met some vendors finally who I’d only communicated with online before: Sun Mountain, Hi-Tec golf shoes, Fat Bastard Golf, Golf Video Perch, Zero Friction Tees and more…
4. Hung out at the CBUK party and met Ali, the person who has been getting me their gear to review.
5. Hopefully I’m prepared for my 2nd appearance on ESPN radio tomorrow morning for my report from the show.
I need to hit it earlier tonight as I have to get to the show early. I only get a half day tomorrow before I have to head to the airport… Gnite.
One last update of the daily blog for today. Final thoughts on day 1. I’m in the lobby of my hotel where the free wi-fi is. Unfortunately, there are tourists from some unknown country attempting to sing “Sweet Home Alabama” karaoke style in the bar next door….
Day one had many interesting events.
1. I finally met Kelly at Ogio after nearly three years of emails back and forth. I also met Dave Pelz (again), Greg Norman and Jesse Ortiz.
2. At the Ogio booth I got to see a prototype head cover for woods which is unlike anything I’ve ever seen.
3. Once again my friends at Nicklaus golf, especially Clay Long gave me some great time and content.
4. Taylormade isn’t here, nor is Titleist or Ping…
5. There was quite a “hole” in the floor where the TM booth was last year.
6. Ran into several pals, including Chris, the pro at my home CC. I also ran into my Black Mesa pals.
7. The buzz this year isn’t square, it’s triangular. The other buzz is “lifestyle.”
8. My shoes had a painful problem and I have a blister on my left foot. Vans tomorrow.
9. Not as crowded a show as 2007. Not as much traffic. I wonder of the state of the economy is related.
10. Had dinner with GRIP founder Rob Blumberg again. We may have a new venture in the works, which will really help the small time golf manufacturers.
11:48pm… Must go to bed. Now the karaoke people are singing “Under the Boardwalk.” Can’t take it anymore.
12:23am… Realized I have two videos to upload to youtube…
On the flight from SLC to Orlando I finished off reading Greg Norman’s new book. I don’t know why I felt the need to finish it until now. I ran into Greg Norman today at the PGA Show. He had a body guard and wasn’t paying much attention to the people as he walked by. But I butted right in and shook his hand and said hello. I told him I read his book on the plane, and he asked me if I liked it.
In person Norman isn’t what I thought he’d be at all. He’s short and very thin. I’m only 5’9″ and I was looking down at him.
More later… I’m off to dinner with Rob Blumberg of GRIP Golf.
New PGA Logo
The PGA has a new logo for 2008 (see picture to right) which has just been unveiled. The core of the logo is the same, which is good. At least they didn’t do what the LPGA did with theirs…
PGA.com is the world’s 2nd biggest golf site in terms of traffic. My friend John at PGA.com has been working his tail off redesigning the site. The site’s new design is now up and running and looking pretty good. I’m glad John listened to my suggestion of putting a freaking SEARCH function!
2007 Masters Blog