ARGH! How many times can golf publications put out the same drivel on their websites or social networks? I swear there’s nearly no original thinking anymore in golf media. They just regurgitate the same questions again and again. When it is a slow news day or the scribes obviously can’t pry anything interesting out of their new-idea-challenged craniums, and when they’ve run out of “hot tour wives and girlfriends” photos, they always seem to turn to these good old overused standards. These are always great standbys for golf forum topics too… Here are the top 10 below, but I’m sure there are more:
10. Who is in your dream foursome?
9. Who would win between Jack Nicklaus and Tiger Woods if they both played against each other in their prime?
8. Should PGA Tour pros be allowed to wear shorts?
7. Should THE PLAYERS* Championship be considered the 5th major championship?
6. What is the (best, toughest, craziest, most beautiful) (par-3, par-4, par-5) in golf? For example: “What is the toughest par-3 in golf?”
5. The “where are you playing?” discussion: Where did you play this weekend? Where are you going to play this weekend? What did you shoot this weekend?
4. The “go-to” discussion: What is your go-to (shot, club)?
3. The “if you could” golf course discussion: If you could play one course the rest of your life, what would it be? If you could play any course in the world, what would it be?
2. The “play like golf pro X” question/discussion: How can you (putt, chip, drive, hit long irons, hit sand shots, score, recover, make birdies) like (insert tour player name here)? Example: How can you drive like Gary Woodland?
1. Will Tiger Woods break Jack Nicklaus’s major championship record of 18 wins?
* Always write “THE PLAYERS” in ALL CAPS, that’s what they do.
Book Preview: Draw in the Dunes by Neil Sagebiel