I’m going on vacation the day after Thanksgiving. I’ll end up in Vegas and then Los Angeles. I’m thinking of trying to squeeze on at Torrey Pines (South course of course). I may also try to once again hook up with EatGolf, Grouchy, MyGolfBuddy and GolfChick. So I may not be posting much between now and when I get back around the 29th. In the mean time…
Each Thanksgiving I give out the Hooked On Golf Blog golf turkey awards. All you have to do to win a turkey award is be a bonehead.
HOG TURKEY AWARDS FOR 2006
10. Phil Mickelson hits a fan at Doral and smashes his wristwatch. Phil performs what I call “Grampituity” and slips the guy a couple of Ben Franklins in a handshake. The guy should have told Phil it was a Rolex.
9. Aaron Oberholser had a one shot lead at the TPC before he started knocking balls in the water to then end up in a tie for 17th.
8. Tim Finchem calls the Tour Championship a “lame duck tournament” since Phil and Tiger didn’t play and since the FedEx Cup wasn’t in place until next year.
7. Rory Sabbatini and his wife give grief to Nick Faldo for slow play. Sabbatini’s wife wears a shirt that says “keep up.” Faldo fires back with â€œItâ€™s very embarrassing for them to bring their sexual problems to the course.â€
6. John Daly and his wife file for divorce after she gets out of prison. Daly finishes 193rd on the money list. Nice.
5. Michelle Wie, while attempting to compete with the men, is carted off on a stretcher and doesn’t complete her round at the John Deere.
4. Tiger Woods bailed on the Tour Championship.
3. Michelle Wie set the standard for missing cuts in men’s tournaments, a feat no other woman will likely beat.
2. The U.S. Ryder Cup team gets their asses kicked…. again.
And the biggest bonehead and turkey of 2006 is….. drum roll please……
1. Phil Mickelson melts down on the 18th at the U.S. Open by pulling his driver out on the tee when he should have hit ANYTHING else. “I’m such an idiot” he said after the round. Then he compounded the mistake by making another bonehead choice, going for the green and hitting a tree. Phil makes double and hands Geoff Ogilvy the U.S. Open as an early Christmas present.